Our congregation was founded in 1912 in a rented chapel on Andrews Avenue in Lakewood, Ohio, and was to be in ministry with English speaking Lutherans residing in Lakewood. The name became Trinity Lutheran Church in 1921. The building at 16400 Detroit Avenue was completed in 1922 (see photo above, cornerstone at right!)). An the education unit being was added in 1953, with interior renovations made to the sanctuary in 1966, and extensive muraling completed throughout in 1999 by members under the leadership of member artists.
In 2016, the congregation made the decision to continue our mission in new spaces and sell the Detroit Avenue facility, operating in conjunction with our new partners at Lakewood Congregational Church, at 1375 West Clifton Boulevard.
Our final service at 16400 Detroit Avenue was held on January 14, 2018, nearly 100 years after the cornerstone you see above was laid.
Trinity's ministry focuses on feeding the hungry and serving those who are struggling with poor economic times. Trinity serves or partners with others who serve free community meals three times each month. For many summers, Trinity has offered Peace Camp for area youth. A yearly summer project stuffs back packs with school supplies for area students. Each holiday season Trinity members adopt local families to support their immediate needs. Trinity is Community!
As a group of friends in Christ, Trinity strives to overcome human-made boundaries among people. Trinity is one of two Reconcilling in Christ congregations in the Northeastern Ohio Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. As an RIC congregation, Trinity welcomes people of all ethnicities, sexual orientations, and backgrounds.
Christian Education is offered as lifelong learning. Children through adults can step into a class. Trinity's women's group is named "The Bad Girls of the Bible" (after a book by that name). Seniors meet for community building and prayer every two weeks. Groups for youth, young adults and young moms, dads, and babies function for projects and support as time dictates.
Trinity collaborates with Lutheran Metropolitan Ministries, the Lakewood Collaborative, the Lakewood Community Services Center, and the Cleveland Foundation and is a member of the The Clevelend Foodbank. We also participated in a successful partnership with The Cleveland Foundation's Project Access from 2007-2010. Project Access has guided our work in the formation of Trinity Lakewood Community Outreach. Historically, Trinity's pastors have been active community leaders.